The 44th Golden Bell Award nominations came out on the 10th. I planned to write a paragraph or two about it and cram it in one of those E-News Round Ups (read the last AND first one here). But since 1) I’ve already devoted a hefty amount of time recapping some of the dramas and 2) condensing the information (and comments) into a few paragraphs is going to test my ability to be succinct (translates to: too much trouble), I thought I might as well do it the proper respect and give it its own post.
In summary, there is a total of 1,435 pieces competing for 33 awards this year. Out of the submitted pieces, only 149 made it to the final round at the award ceremony, which is scheduled to be hold on — mark your calendar (or wait for my after post) — the 16th of October.
Let me waste no time in dumping you the abridged list of nominees (I’ll skip awards of lesser or no interest to me. I’m sure no one will sit here and read through the entire 149 items and I certainly don’t plan on translating them all. Now, sit tight and grab a ball to squeeze on, there are a few surprises.)
- Justice for Love (PTS)
- Police et Vous (SETTV)
- Marriage for Three Women (TBS: Hakka TV)
- My Queen (SETTV)
- Black & White (PTS)
Echoing many people’s disappointment, Story of Time being left out of the nomination is a pity. But how in the world did My Queen creep its way on the list?! Well, better My Queen than Invincible Shan Bao Mei or worse, Miss no Good. Speaking of Miss no Good, Rainie Yang is sour for not receiving any nomination this year and has vented her frustration by going shopping (read it here in Chinese).
- Vic Zhou for Black & White
- Harry Zhang for Justice for Love
- You Anshun for Zou Guo Hao Wei Dao
- Mark Zhao for Black & White
- Show Luo for Hot Shot
I haven’t seen either Justice for Love or Zou Guo Hao Wei Dao to judge the quality of acting. But Vic Zhou here deserves a mention. His cool reaction towards the news of nomination is noteworthy. I take it to mean that he’s humble and focused rather than indifferent. And, his acting did see a significant improvement in Black & White, especially towards the later half of the drama.
Mark Zhao’s nomination however, weights more towards encouragement than recognition and he’s highly unlikely to receive the actual award. Let’s face it, getting nominated is already a brag-worthy honor, especially for a newbie like him. I do hope to see his acting mature in later endeavors.
Show Luo being on the list is somewhat of an eye-opener for me. Yes, he has the easy-go-lucky charm that many like but he also has the exaggeration that calls for desperation. Although his acting in Hot Shot is markedly better than Corner with Love, he still acts out (and O-U-T) to fill the void. But I do think he’s lucky to land with the character of Yuan DaYing. Not only does the ostentatious character fit with Luo’s acting style, it makes it so much easier to suspend the disbelief. Pity Jerry Yan didn’t receive any nomination, whether for Hot Shot or Starlit.
- Li Kang Yi for Justice for Love
- Tammy Chen for Story of Time
- Fu Xiaoyun for You’re My One and Only
- Cheryl Yang for My Queen
- Liu Ruiqi for Marriage for Three Women
Justice for Love really is getting a lot of nomination. Now I’m curious and will have check it out.
Cheryl Yang’s nomination interestingly stirs up all sorts of talks on how Ethan Yuan isn’t nominated for anything, again. I, on the other hand, can’t wait to see Cheryl on red carpet. She’s gonna look fabulous!
Best Supporting Actor
- Kingone Wang for Black & White
- Chen Bozheng for You’re My One and Only
- Wen Shenghao for My Queen
- Fan Guangyao for Story of Time
- Jian Cheng for Tia Jiu Xian Shang de Ai
Yup, our pothead extraordinaire in Black & White is recognized for his four-episode participation. I’ve gushed about how I love actors who make full use of the environments and he is one of them (or has become one since his performance in Black & White).
I’m also happy for Wen Shenghao’s nomination. If My Queen‘s sometimes absurd plot forces me to fast forward, then Wen Shenghao’s portrayal of Leslie makes me hit rewind. That said, I don’t think he stands much chance against his fellow competitors. Well, there’s always a next time.
Best Supporting Actress
- He Yipei for The Way Home
- Tang Meiyun for Mom’s House
- Xu Yangling for The Beautiful, Tranquil Sea
- Phoebe Huang for Story of Time
- Xie Qiongnuan for Marriage for Three Women
Phoebe Huang must be very pleased to find herself a nominee. I’ve watched an interview on Phoebe and Tammy following the rating success of Story of Time and know that she has put a lot of effort into creating the character and she’s quite passionate about it. It’ll be nice to see the mother daughter pair take home the trophies together. But that’s still wistful thinking.
- Wang Xiaodi for Police et Vous
- Wang Mingtai for Justice for Love
- Lin Qingzheng for My Queen
- Zhou Xiaopeng for Marriage for Three Women
- Tsai Yueh Hsun for Black & White
If Tsai Yueh Hsun (Cai Yuexun) were to win, I can already imagine how it’ll look: Camera rolling to the audience seat where his wife is siting, she’s crying with a hand barely covering her face. On stage, the director is sobbing himself, thanking the cast, thanking the crew, and most of all, thanking his wife and daughter. If past award ceremonies are any indication, there’s going to be a lot of tears if he wins.
Okay, imaginary award ceremony aside, I secretly hope Justice for Love will take home this particular trophy. Why? For a silly reason: that’ll justify my curiosity to check out the drama.
- Black & White is also nominated for best editing, lighting, marketing, and advertisement, among 11 others, making it the most nominated drama.
- My Queen‘s classy advertisements are also nominated for best advertising. (The short impression ads were sophisticated indeed, I was fooled into believing that the drama will be produced with the same high quality. Oh how wrong I was.)
- For variety shows, Tao Zi’s One Million Start successfully enters the final round of competition. Although she is one of my favorite Taiwanese hostess (actually, the favorite TW hostess) and I do want her to bring home another trophy, we’ll have to wait till next month to find out.
That’s a full post for ya, any thoughts/comments? Anyone angry at me for criticizing your favorite drama/actor? Now is the time to spit it out!